15 December 2008

things i have learned about food processors

So, as I have mentioned before, I have sitemeter. While sitemeter itself kind of sucks, it is super fascinating to see how people find my site (because I am self-absorbed). This entry that I wrote before I bought my food processor is one of the two most popular entries on my blog. Since half my traffic is from people looking for information on food processors, I thought I would tell you a little bit about what I've learned after having mine for... however long I've had it. Because I am here to help, and also because I want more traffic. And if you are at this entry because you followed the link I added in that first entry, I hope this is helpful.

1. First, since most people search “what to make with my food processor,” here is a convenient list, both things I’ve made and things I want to make.

Hummus
Salsa
Chopped vegetables (careful, they will get chopped far quicker than you’d think, I ended up with onion purée the first time)
Also! Julienned (sp?) vegetables--to use for spring rolls, homemade sushi, etc. (Apparently fancy food processors have attachments for julienne-ing (really, sp?) but I have no personal experience with this.)
Pesto
Peanut butter
Chutney (I really, really want to try this!)
Soup! (I still haven't tried this, but I should have time soon, and I've heard from others that it's super crazy easy.)


[Do you have any other ideas? I know there's other things I've thought about making, though I can't think of them at the moment.]

2. Hummus is really easy and really fun to make. You can add anything, and once you have a jar of tahini, you just need to keep a few cans of chickpeas around, and you can make hummus anytime. Jalepeños are really good, and obviously garlic is awesome.

3. I really don't use my food processor enough. I think I'd use it more if it was bigger, or if I had a dishwasher so it would be easier to clean.

4. But it does make it easier to chop vegetables for salsa. Oh! If you're making salsa with your food processor, you should definitely roast the tomatoes [possibly after covering them in olive oil] and then chop them in your food processor to whatever consistency you prefer, and then put the chopped tomatoes into a big bowl and add whatever vegetables you want. Or mango, I really want to try adding mango to salsa.

5. I still really want to try adding green onions or jalapeños to cream cheese. Or neufchatel cheese, actually.

6. The food processor I bought is too small. It was cheap, and I bought it to see if I would use it and to see if it was worth paying more money for a bigger, nicer one, and it is. So, you know, if you're thinking about buying one, keep that in mind. I'd recommend getting one with lots of fancy attachments. And get one that's big, that's important. It's frustrating to have to make a batch of peanut butter (or whatever) in three stages.

7. Speaking of which, making peanut butter is fun, but it is also messy. Well, not messy exactly, but difficult to clean. That seems obvious now that I say it, but cleaning peanut butter off the food processor container and those sharp little knives almost cancels out the fun that I have making the actual peanut butter. This is less of an issue if you own a dishwasher or if you get a food processor without a lot of little nooks and crannies where peanut butter can get caught.

(Holy shit this was long. Sorry!)

No comments:

Post a Comment