12 December 2009

Zoo Siab Xyoo Tshiab

I'm going to Hmong New Year later today with my friend Laura. My adviser originally suggested attending so that I could get some background for my thesis. They sell different embroidered stuff, so it'll be interesting to see how the craft market fits into the overall celebration, who is buying the products, who made them (or is represented as making them), etc etc. I am totally interested in all of that, but to be completely honest, I am most excited about the food. Okay, also I will probably buy some embroidery and/or cloth, because how could I not? I'll be part of the production/consumption chain that I might end up studying, which will be... weird. Or maybe I will just look at how Hmong embroidery functions in reproducing culture in diasporic communities? Who knows, so many possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment