27 August 2006

and the hits just keep on coming

In no particular order, stories from this past weekend.

So. Highlight of the weekend by far--my cousin Jeb and his band played a show in Brooklyn on Thursday. I haven't seen Jeb in two years, aside from a random one hour layover when I drove to Wisconsin with Sonia last year, so I was selfishly excited that he decided to tour and set up a show in New York. We never talk as much as we should, but he's one of my favorite people. He's also a damn fine musician. I hung out with Jeb and his band outside the venue for awhile before the show. Pink Reason played first, then Dear Astronaut, and both bands were awesome. Also awesome were the two girls who were dry humping on the floor in front of me. Wait, that wasn't awesome at all.

After the show, I went out drinking with him and his band and some people they know in New York. I was determined to go home right after the show because the L stopped at midnight and I had to work at 8am the next morning. That didn't last long, but I decided that I would definitely leave after one drink, which turned into leaving by 11pm, which turned into 11:15 when we moved to the second bar, which turned into me sleeping on the kitchen floor of Jeb's friend's apartment in Bushwick. I really believed I would make it home that night, but I don't think anyone else did.

Barcade was disappointing (more bar than arcade) but the second bar we went too had skeeball and cheap beer and free beer if you scored over 300 at skeeball. I was really, really terrible at playing but very good at coaching . The bar (I wish I could remember the name) had an awesome patio area where you could drink and smoke (although obviously I did not smoke cigarettes as I quit, I swear). I seem to recall spending a lot of time on the patio, but I had a lot of beer and no dinner, so the whole night is kind of blurry.

(Before I forget, everyone check out gregnog.com. I told Greg I'd read his comics if he gave me a cigarette (Mom, I'm totally kidding, I didn't start smoking again), which was mean of me because I was going to check it out anyway. Luckily, it's really good. "I Am A Host at The Olive Garden" is my favorite.)

Dear Astronaut left Saturday afternoon to drive to their next show in Maine. I fell asleep almost immediately as I got about four hours of sleep between Thursday and Saturday. I managed to wake up at 10pm so I could meet up with my Canadian friends. I was basically half asleep the entire time, but I had fun like I always do. It took two hours to get home because the L wasn't running and apparently the shuttle bus wasn't running either. I made it to work on time, so I guess that's all that matters.

In other news, I'm in a shit mood and can't escape the feeling that this is all boring and poorly-written drivel. I feel like a mess lately and like a bad friend. I missed my friend's housewarming party and didn't contact her to explain, and I totally forgot to get in touch with another friend I was supposed to see this weekend. I'm sick of living in New York, but I don't see a way out for awhile. I really need to be accepted into Teach for America so I'll have an easy way to move to Chicago. I need to get more sleep, I think, because I have to believe that my bad mood is based on sleep deprivation and not a return to other, stupider times. I don't like the way things are right now, and I want to pretend that a good night's sleep will make them better. God, I'm so fucking emo sometimes. Someone please punch me in the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment