09 June 2006

sometimes I just don't know

I am a moron.

Wait! Let me explain why. First, a little background. After roughly 16 years of being hopelessly devoted to PCs, I jumped on the Mac bandwagon last November and bought an iBook, from which I am writing these very words. I’d used Macs off and on since elementary school (although I don’t know if an Apple IIe even counts, because the only thing I ever did was play Oregon Trail), so I was familiar with the basic differences between PCs and Macs. I loved my iBook immediately and quickly got used to all the random nuances, the lack of a right-click button being the most obvious example.

Okay, whatever, this story is boring, so I’ll get to the point. I got used to using a Mac really quickly, and within a few weeks, I knew all the shortcuts and tricks, or at least I thought I did. Here’s where I explain why I’m a moron.

When you choose “Save As” on a Mac, it comes up with a window with a “save as” text box and a “where” drop down box. The “where” drop down box lets you choose from some of the main folders, but you can’t choose a subfolder, or if you’re neurotic like me, one of the hundreds of sub-sub-sub folders you set up because you like your hard drive organized within an inch of its life. This annoyed me constantly. Not a lot, but it was one of the only things I really didn’t like about my Mac. Blah blah blah, whatever.

The point to this long and boring story is that after seven months of owning a Mac and roughly 14 or 15 years of using Macs periodically, it was only today that I noticed the little blue button next to the “save as” text box that lets you choose an exact location for saving your file. I was actually in the middle of telling my coworker how much it annoyed me that you couldn’t choose a specific folder to save to when I noticed the blue arrow and realized that I am a moron.

So. That’s what I did today. Does that make sense? Do you get why I’m a moron? I’m not feeling especially confident in my ability to explain things, or breathe on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment